Sunday, December 25, 2005

Intrepid Trekking


Let me note a word or two about this blog before I begin posting in earnest. Since this is a new blog, naturally I had to come up with a name. With so many bloggers on the Internet these days (and so many of them using blogger.com) I had to come up with something descriptive for my new blog. I chose Intrepid Trekker because I'll be devoting this blog to posts about my journeys and travel in general.

Intrepid
= Resolutely courageous or fearless. That adjective certainly applies to many of the trips I've made over the years.

Trek = To make a slow or arduous journey. Another meaning is to journey on foot, especially to hike through mountainous areas. Both apply in this case. At first glance many would assume I chose trek as a nod to my love of science fiction (Star Trek). Actually trek came to mind for another reason. Whenever I think of trekking, it is the Great Trek the Afrikaaners made in the 19th Century to escape British suzerainty that comes to mind.

So there you have it: a courageous or fearless person who undertakes an arduous journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home